EEA database on climate change mitigation policies and measures in Europe
This database contains a number of policies and measures (PaM) implemented, adopted or planned by European countries to reduce greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions. These PaMs have been reported by European countries under the European Union (EU) Monitoring Mechanism Regulation (MMR) in 2020 (Cyprus, Germany, Greece, Latvia and Slovenia), 2019 (Belgium, Bulgaria, Croatia, Czechia, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Hungary, Iceland, Ireland, Italy, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands, Poland, Portugal, Slovakia, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, United Kingdom) and in 2017 (Austria and Romania). The search engine gives access to detailed information for each of the PaMs (or groups of PaMs). Countries report main characteristics of the PaMs, such as their description, objective, type, status, sectors affected, related Union Policy, entities responsible for their implementation, implementation period, etc. Where available, quantitative information on the GHG emissions savings achieved by PaMs (or groups of PaMs), both ex post (retrospectively) and ex ante (anticipated savings), as well as the projected and realised costs and benefits of the reported PaMs are reported.
Clicking on the ‘Name of policy or measure’ opens the PaM national report. The data shown can be filtered by different parameters using the right-hand drop-down options. The database can be downloaded as a CSV file.
The 2019 reported information – latest full reporting cycle is analysed in the report: Overview of reported national policies and measures on climate change mitigation in Europe in 2019, and the related briefing, More national climate policies expected, but how effective are the existing ones? Detailed guidance on the EEA PaM outputs can be found in the EEA PaMs navigation document. For more information, check also the Policies and measures dedicated subpage
Data sourcesThe datafiles with latest and previously reported and quality checked climate change mitigation policies and measures, reported under the EU Greenhouse Gas Monitoring Mechanism Regulation (MMR), are available here.
Deliveries for National policies and measures have been quality checked and adjusted if appropriate by the European Topic Centre Climate Change Mitigation and Energy (ETC/CME).
- EEA thematic page for climate policies and measures
- Data 2020+2019 - Member States' greenhouse gas (GHG) emission projections
- Briefing 2020 – National action across all sectors needed to reach greenhouse gas Effort Sharing targets
- Briefing 2019 - More national climate policies expected, but how effective are the existing ones?
- Report 2019 - Overview of reported national policies and measures on climate change mitigation in Europe in 2019
- Briefing 2018 - Tracking climate policies in European Union countries
- Briefing 2018 - Using Member States' information on policies and measures to support policymaking: energy efficiency in buildings
- Report 2018 - National policies and measures on climate change mitigation in Europe in 2017