EEA database on greenhouse gas policies and measures in Europe
This database contains a number of policies and measures (PaM) implemented, adopted or planned by European countries to reduce greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions. These PaMs have been reported by European countries under the Governance of the Energy Union and Climate Action Regulation in 2021 and two countries (Germany and Iceland) updated their submissions in 2022. This information is submitted through Reportnet platform. The EEA compiles, checks the quality and disseminates reported information.
The search engine gives access to detailed information for each of the PaMs (or groups of PaMs). Countries report main characteristics of the PaMs, such as their description, objective, type, status, sectors affected, related Union Policy, entities responsible for their implementation, implementation period, etc. Where available, quantitative information on the GHG emissions savings achieved by PaMs (or groups of PaMs), both ex post (retrospectively) and ex ante (anticipated savings), as well as the projected and realised costs and benefits of the reported PaMs are reported.
The data shown can be filtered by different parameters using the right-hand drop-down options. The database can be downloaded as a CSV file.
The most recent analysis of the complete dataset on national policies and measures is available in the report: Overview of reported national green house gas policies and measures in Europe in 2021. Detailed guidance on the EEA PaM outputs can be found in the EEA PaMs navigation document. For more information, check also the Climate and Energy in the EU platform and Policies and measures dedicated subpage.
Data sourcesThe datafiles with latest and previously reported and quality checked climate change mitigation policies and measures, reported under the Governance of the Energy Union and Climate Action Regulation and previously under the EU Greenhouse Gas Monitoring Mechanism Regulation (MMR), are available here.
Deliveries for National greenhouse gas policies and measures have been quality checked and adjusted if appropriate by the European Topic Centre on Climate Change Mitigation (ETC CM).
- EEA thematic page for climate policies and measures
- Climate and Energy in the EU platform
- EEA catalogue of European environment and climate policy evaluations
- ETC/CME report: Overview of reported national greenhouse gas policies and measures in Europe in 2021
- ETC/CME report: Agricultural climate mitigation policies and measures. Good practice, challenges, and future perspectives
- Data 2021 - Member States' greenhouse gas (GHG) emission projections
- Briefing 2022 - Progress and prospects for decarbonisation in the agriculture sector and beyond
- Briefing 2020 – National action across all sectors needed to reach greenhouse gas Effort Sharing targets
- Briefing 2019 - More national climate policies expected, but how effective are the existing ones?
- Report 2019 - Overview of reported national policies and measures on climate change mitigation in Europe in 2019
- Briefing 2018 - Tracking climate policies in European Union countries
- Briefing 2018 - Using Member States' information on policies and measures to support policymaking: energy efficiency in buildings
- Report 2018 - National policies and measures on climate change mitigation in Europe in 2017